Friday, April 24, 2009

birdie diaper cake

Ever since I first saw a diaper cake online, I have been in love with them. I make a diaper cake for just about every shower that I throw. They make cute and practical centerpieces. Sunday's shower for my cousin Lisa is no different. I'm excited about my momma bird/baby bird theme, especially after my invites turned out so cute. I was fortunate that I was easily able to continue the theme into the cake.



Step 1: Get some diapers and receiving blankets. I found some cute pink birdie blankets by Dwell for Target.


Step 2: Make topper. Usually I use a stuffed toy for the topper, but I couldn't find a stuffed birdie that the was the same shape as the birds I used in the invite. So I drew birds on pink and yellow card stock and cut them out, just as I did for the invites only bigger. And then I took the hanger that the receiving blankets were wrapped around and taped the birds on either side of the hanger.


Step 3: Roll the diapers and layer them into a 3 tier cake wrapping the receiving blankets around each layer.


Step 4: Stack the tiers on top of each other. Stick the topper in the cake. Add a couple toys for good measure.

I hope Lisa likes her cake. :-)

No comments: